My latest 'Where to begin with...' piece for the BFI concerns "the genre-hopping cinema of indie trailblazer Steven Soderbergh". You can read it here.
Saturday, 14 January 2017
Sunday, 1 January 2017
Much like 2015, I'm pleased to say that 2016 was a strong year for me in terms of what I saw. My viewing figures are up a little – still well below my target of 365, but sitting semi-respectably at 236. Once again, my preference remains slanted towards archive titles, and this time (unusually for me) there was also a slight emphasis on rewatching work, having revisited, amongst others, the (near) complete oeuvres of Bergman and Bresson (during which I was also able to fill in some important gaps).
As ever, there are things I wasn't able to see, my two biggest regrets being Mia Hansen-Løve's Things to Come and Kelly Reichardt's Certain Women (though the latter isn't officially out in the UK for another few months).
In putting my lists together, I have deliberately left out films by friends and colleagues, as it's impossible to be truly objective about these, and I'd rather not have to start ranking these against each other. Still, a special shout out must be made for Stephen Fingleton's The Survivalist, Oliver Frampton's The Forgotten, Jane Gull's My Feral Heart and Katharine Round's The Divide.
So, with that, onto the lists. As always, directors' names will take you to their IMDb pages, and I've limited myself to one film per director in each list.
My Top Films of 2016
01) Silence (dir. Martin Scorsese)02) The Revenant (dir. Alejandro G. Iñárritu)
03) Embrace of the Serpent (dir. Ciro Guerra)
04) The Son of Joseph (dir. Eugène Green)
05) Aferim! (dir. Radu Jude)
06) The Witch (dir. Robert Eggers)
07) The Hateful Eight (dir. Quentin Tarantino)
08) Tale of Tales (dir. Matteo Garrone)
09) Spotlight (dir. Tom McCarthy)
10) The Brand New Testament (dir. Jaco Van Dormael)
11) Everybody Wants Some!! (dir. Richard Linklater)
12) Personal Shopper (dir. Olivier Assayas)
My Top Films from Previous Years that I Saw for the First Time in 201601) The White Dove (1960, dir. Frantisek Vlácil)
02) Autumn Sonata (1978, dir. Ingmar Bergman)
03) The Best Intentions (1992, dir. Bille August)
04) Four Nights of a Dreamer (1971, dir. Robert Bresson)
05) The Emigrants/The New Land (1971/1972, dir. Jan Troell)
06) Mother (1926, dir. Vsevolod Pudovkin)
07) Come and See (1985, dir. Elem Klimov)
08) Day of the Outlaw (1959, dir. André De Toth)
09) J'accuse (1938, dir. Abel Gance)
10) Shoes (1916, dir. Lois Weber)
11) Hotel Imperial (1927, dir. Mauritz Stiller)
12) Hotel du Nord (1938, dir. Marcel Carné)
Wednesday, 21 December 2016
Sunday, 18 December 2016
Thursday, 8 December 2016
Monday, 26 September 2016
Saturday, 23 July 2016
Over the past few months I've had the opportunity to write three pieces for the BFI's Where to begin with… series and, as it happens, my three pieces have been about my three favourite directors: Carl Th. Dreyer, Ingmar Bergman and Béla Tarr. Those names link to the pieces, so please check them out and enjoy!